Lil din l-art ħelwa l-Omm li tatna isimha
Ħares Mulej kif dejjem Int ħarist:
Ftakar li lilha bl-oħla dawl libbist.

Agħti kbir Alla id-dehen lil min jaħkimha
Rodd il-ħniena lis-sid saħħa 'l-ħaddiem:
Seddaq il-għaqda fil-Maltin u s-sliem.

English:
Guard her, O Lord, as ever Thou hast guarded
This Motherland so dear whose name we bear!
Keep her in mind, whom Thou hast made so fair!
May he who rules, for wisdom be regarded,
In master mercy, strength in man increase!
Confirm us all, in unity and peace!

German:
Schütze es, O Herr, wie Du es immer beschützt hast,
Dieses Mutterland; dieses gute, dessen Namen wir tragen!
Behalte es in Erinnerung, das Du so schön erschaffen hast!
Möge er, der regiert, für seine Weisheit geachtet werden;
Unter der Gnade des Herrn die Stärke im Menschen wachsen.
Stärke uns alle in Einheit und Frieden!

Sources:
http://malta-online.de/info/nationalhymne.htm (English and German lyrics)
The page also contains more information about the anthem (in German).

http://www.uni-protokolle.de/Lexikon/L-Innu_Malti.html ; (Maltese lyrics)

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 27.07.2004 at 03:35:09

avtandil   Offline
Forum Elite
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Lodz, Poland

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 27.07.2004 at 03:35:37

avtandil   Offline
Forum Elite
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Lodz, Poland

In 1922, Dr. A.V. Laferla, Director of Primary Schools, obtained possession of a piece of music composed by Dr. R. Samut. He handed it to Dun Karm, a well-known priest and poet, to write the lyrics for it as a school hymn. As Dun Karm began writing, he suddenly conceived the idea of writing a hymn in the form of a prayer to the Almighty. Dun Karm, who was later to become Malta's National Poet, wanted to bridge the gap existing between the political parties and to unite all with the strong ties of religion and patriotism. The "Immu Malti" was first played on the 3 February 1923. In 1945 it was declared to be the official anthem of Malta.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 02.08.2004 at 13:14:53

The Expatriate   Offline
Imam Ali

Syrian live in UAE, Syria

Sheet Music (With an image for Dun Karm)

Zein Al-A'bideen Ayyoubi

Syria is one and over all
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 31.08.2004 at 16:07:44

Jan   Offline
Global Moderator

Bremen, Bremen, Germany

According to my friends in Malta, the English verses have no official status and are normally not used. The only official version of the Innu Malti is in Maltese language. The English version by May Butcher IMO does also not clearly express the political character of the anthem. With the help of a Maltese-English dictionary and some advices from my Maltese friends, I have made a word-by-word translation, which is not suitable for singing, but gives a better impression of Dun Karm's intentions.

Translation:

To this sweet land, our mother, to which we owe our name,
Guard her, Lord God, like always you have guarded,
Remember her, which you have clothed with light.

Give, Great God, intellect to whom who governs,
Give mercy to the proprietor, and strength to the workman,
To let us serve upright, true and faithful, a united people, Maltese, and in peace.

Note his mentioning of proprietors and workers, which are obviously meant as a hint as to the gap between the two political camps in Malta (Nationalists and Labour) which is still today the overriding factor in Maltese politics.

Statue of Dun Karm in Floriana, Malta

Dass ein gutes Deutschland blühe&&wie ein andres gutes Land (B. Brecht)
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 06.02.2005 at 08:08:25

avtandil   Offline
Forum Elite
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Lodz, Poland

Polish translation:

Hymn Malty

Naszą Ojczyznę tak drogą, której imię nosimy,
strzeż, o Panie, jak czyniłeś to dotąd.
Pamiętaj o tej, którą oblekłeś w chwałę.

Daj Boże rządzącym mądrość, miłosierdzie-bogatym,
siłę robotnikom, niech służymy uczciwości, prawdzie i wierze:
Wzmocnij naród maltański w jedności i pokoju.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 09.02.2005 at 03:32:15

Dieter   Offline
Forum Administrator

Groß-Gerau, Hessen, Germany

The following sheet music is Reinhard Popp's private property. He could purchase it by chance some years ago – it's a really historical document! The Latin inscription below the coats of arms is "Undique Melitae Fulgeat" (May Malta Shine Everywhere).

German Translation by Willibald Hahn

Behüte, Herr, wie immer du behütet,
dies Vaterland, das uns den Namen gab!
Vergiss es nie, das du so schön gemacht!

Die Weisheit des Regenten möge leuchten!
Im Herrscher mehre Güte, Kraft im Untertan!
Bestärk uns all in Einigkeit und Frieden!

Source:
http://www.germanmaltesecircle.org/newsletters/newsletter.htm

Que dans ces lieux règne à jamais l'amour des lois, la liberté, la paix !
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 19.03.2005 at 13:38:41

akira   Offline

Manila, Philippines

I checked from the Maltese Department of Information (a good place to check on information on Malta) that the English words by May Butcher serve as a translation of the national anthem.

The Maltese constitution has an article on the national anthem, known as Article 5.  Since I can't put up the slashed h (after many tries), the Constitution can be found on the link below (it is a PDF file):

http://docs.justice.gov.mt/lom/legislation/english/leg/vol_1/chapt0.pdf

What really surprises me is that the words to "L-Innu Malti" on the DOI website does not have the slashed h on either the words or the sheet music.  There are other national anthem sites that I've checked, though, that reflect the slashed h, and some other ones do not.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 19.03.2005 at 15:30:36

Jan   Offline
Global Moderator

Bremen, Bremen, Germany

Hello akira,

thank you for the link to the constitution of Malta in English language. In the constitution, article 4, only the text in Maltese language is mentioned, i.e. it should be the only official version. This confirms what a Maltese friend has told me: Although he used to attend a school which had English as first language (Malta has many - usually catholic - private schools, and some of them have English, others Maltese as teaching language) he never learned another than the Maltese version of the National Anthem at school.

I suppose the DOI has put the English versification by May Butcher on his website to provide a translation of the anthem to visitors who do not understand Maltese (a language which is spoken by not more than about 400.000 people, although it recently became an official language of the EU).

BTW I could imagine that the English version had at least a semi-official status during the British rule over Malta; "L-Innu Malti" was already in 1945 declared the National Anthem, whilst Malta became independent only in 1964. Perhaps the English version has been dropped when the constitution was passed upon independence - note that Maltese is prescribed as the only "national language" (although also English is mentioned as official language). I will try and check this when I will be in Malta the next time.

You find the "slashed h" in the PDF with the constitution: It appears in the word "helwa" (sweet), whilst the word "isimha" (our name) is correctly displayed without slash. The h with slash is spoken in a slightly guttural way (as the h in "hand"), whilst the h without slash is almost silent (like the h in "hour").

The problem is that almost no text programme includes Maltese fonts. You can download them, but some browsers might not display them correctly. Therefore, most Maltese are used to read Maltese texts without the fonts (for example in e-mails), and you might find Maltese texts with missing fonts even on official websites. BTW Maltese is the only semitic language (related with Arabian and Hebrew) spoken in Europe and the only one that is written in latin letters.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 11.07.2005 at 06:25:44

akira   Offline

Manila, Philippines

I have a link to information on the Maltese national anthem (little on the history, though) shown below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-Innu_Malti

The link even has the lyrics translated into French, which are posted below:

A cette douce terre, la mère qui nous a donné son nom,
Protège la, seigneur, comme tu as toujours fait;
Rappelle toi que tu l'a embellie avec la plus haute grâce.

Accordez mon Dieu, de la sagesse à ceux qui la gouvernent;
Rendez l'indulgence aux maîtres, et la force aux travailleurs;
Assurez l'unité entre les Maltais et la paix.

The translation should be roughly the same as if it were in English translated from Maltese.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 11.07.2005 at 09:03:29

babas   Offline

Tunis, Tunisia

Quote:
[img]

There is mistakes in this version (example: verse 2:"Mulej kif dejjem" and not "Mulej Kifdefjem")

Maltese is an amaizing language composed of 50% of words issued from italian and 50% of words from Arabic dialect of Tunisia but I can certify that 90% of the words of this anthem have an arabic origin!

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 11.07.2005 at 12:31:08

Jan   Offline
Global Moderator

Bremen, Bremen, Germany

Quote:
A cette douce terre, la mère qui nous a donné son nom,
Protège la, seigneur, comme tu as toujours fait;
Rappelle toi que tu l'a embellie avec la plus haute grâce.

Accordez mon Dieu, de la sagesse à ceux qui la gouvernent;
Rendez l'indulgence aux maîtres, et la force aux travailleurs;
Assurez l'unité entre les Maltais et la paix.

The translation should be roughly the same as if it were in English translated from Maltese.

I think this is a direct translation from Maltese. For example the word "worker" (travailleurs) in the second line of the second verse does not appear in the English versification by May Butcher, and also the word "Maltais" (Maltin) can only be found in the Maltese original.

Compare also with the English translation in Reply #5.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 11.07.2005 at 13:25:43

Jan   Offline
Global Moderator

Bremen, Bremen, Germany

Quote:
There is mistakes in this version (example: verse 2:"Mulej kif dejjem" and not "Mulej Kifdefjem")

This is the text as it is given at the website of the Department of Information of Malta:

L-INNU MALTI

Lil din l-art helwa, l-Omm li tatna isimha,
hares, Mulej, kif dejjem Int harist:
Ftakar li lilha bl-ohla dawl libbist.

Aghti, kbir Alla, id-dehen lil min jahkimha,
Rodd il-hniena lis-sid, sahha 'l-haddiem:
Seddaq il-ghaqda fil-Maltin u s-sliem.

(From: http://www.doi.gov.mt/EN/state/anthem.asp)

It is again without Maltese fonts, but it should clear up doubts with regards to division of words.

The correct spelling of the term in the second line of the first verse is "Mulej, kif dejjem" (Lord God, as always..."); in the third line, you have two words: "bl-ohla". However, "bl-" does in some sources also appear as "bil-" (with, by), which seems to be the more common form in contemporary Maltese.

In the first line of the second verse it is "id-dehen" (the intellect). In the second line, "il-hniena" (the mercy, the compassion) is written as a word with article, but not as one word. The article changes according to the first letter of the noun; i.e. in "dehen" it is "id-", whilst in "hniena" it is "il-"; the same is the case with "sid" (master, proprietor); "lis-" is the pronoun, which changes in Maltese according to the first letter of the noun; i.e. "lis-sid" = "to the master".

The last line in the version posted by avtandil is just incomplete; and of course, at the end it is "s-sliem" (the peace) and not "ssleim".

Quote:
Maltese is an amaizing language composed of 50% of words issued from italian and 50% of words from Arabic dialect of Tunisia but I can certify that 90% of the words of this anthem have an arabic origin!

Most Maltese will tell you that their language is not derived from Arabian, but shares the same Aramean or Phoenician roots. I think this is true, but on the other hand, Malta was under Arab rule from 870-1091, and during that period, many Arabic words might have been added to the original language. There are also many places in Malta with Arabic names, like Rabat, Mdina, Mgarr, Safi etc.

Later, many words of Italian and English origin have been addad to the Maltese language, but IMO the main structure is still of semitic (Arabian, Phoenician etc.) origin.

In Malta, they can watch Tunisian TV, and the Maltese can understand it like e.g. Germans can understand Dutch and vice versa.

And if anybody doubts that Muslims and Christians believe in the same God, he will be easily convinced if you tell him that the Maltese (who are 98 % Roman Catholics) call Great God - kbir Alla!

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 13.07.2005 at 06:52:11

babas   Offline

Tunis, Tunisia

Quote:
Most Maltese will tell you that their language is not derived from Arabian, but shares the same Aramean or Phoenician roots. I think this is true, but on the other hand, Malta was under Arabic rule from 870-1091, and during that period, many Arabic words might have been added to the original language. There are also many places in Malta with Arabic names, like Rabat, Mdina, Mgarr, Safi etc.

To know more on maltese language and its origin : http://www.answers.com/topic/maltese-language

You can read:

........... Usually words expressing basic concepts and ideas are of Arabic origin, whereas more 'learned' words, having to do with new ideas, objects, government, law, education, art, literature, and general learning, are derived from Sicilian. Thus words like ragel: man, mara : woman, tifel : child, dar : house, xemx (pronounce: shemesh):sun, sajf : summer, are of Arabic origin. While words like skola:  school, gvern: government, repubblika: republic, re: king, natura: nature, pulizija: police, centru: center, teatru: theater, differenza: difference, are derived from Sicilian. It is estimated that 50% of the vocabulary is Semitic, the rest being Romance.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 03.08.2005 at 08:36:54

babas   Offline

Tunis, Tunisia

IP Logged

Reply #15 - 21.08.2005 at 08:07:19

babas   Offline

Tunis, Tunisia

Sheet music

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 30.11.2005 at 11:16:49

Srl   Offline

Hello I am here visiting from Wikipedia and see this thread quotes wikipedia!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-Innu_Malti  The text there now is copied from the Malta Department of Information, would anyone like to help rewrite it? There are a lot of good resources on this forum, I'd like to at least link to it. See the 'discussion page' linked from the L-Innu Malta page also. Thanks

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 30.11.2005 at 16:32:05

Arisztid   Offline
Forum Moderator
"Með lögum skal land byggja!"

Kisalag, Hungary

Walon Translation from wikipedia:

A cisse doûce tere, el Mame ki nos dna s' no,
Protedje lu, Signeur, come Vos avoz todi fwait:
Rimimbroz vs ki vos l' avoz rabeazi avou l' pus hôte gråce.

Acoirdez, èm Diu, del saedjesse ås cis kel goviernut,
Rindoz l' induldjince åzès mwaisses, eyet l' foice åzès ovrîs;
Assurez l' unité etur les Maltè eyet l' påye.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 30.11.2005 at 16:33:07

Arisztid   Offline
Forum Moderator

Kisalag, Hungary

Czechis Tanslation (wikipedia)

Maltská hymna

Naši vlast tak drahou, jejíž jméno nosíme,
střez, ó Pane, jak’s to dosud činil.
Pamatuj na tu, kterou si pokryl chválou.

Dej Bože, vládnoucím moudrost, bohatým milosrdenství,
sílu dělníkům, ať sloužíme poctivosti, pravdě a víře:
Povzbuď maltský národ v jednotě a míru.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 30.11.2005 at 16:34:05

Arisztid   Offline
Forum Moderator

Kisalag, Hungary

French Translation (wikipeia)

À cette douce terre, la mère qui nous a donné son nom,
Protège-la, seigneur, comme tu as toujours fait ;
Rappelle-toi que tu l'as embellie avec la plus haute grâce.

Accorde, mon Dieu, de la sagesse à ceux qui la gouvernent ;
Rends l'indulgence aux maîtres, et la force aux travailleurs ;
Assure l'unité entre les Maltais et la paix.

IP Logged

Reply #20 - 30.11.2005 at 16:35:23

Arisztid   Offline
Forum Moderator

Kisalag, Hungary

Spansih Translation (wikipedia)

Guárdala, oh Señor, como lo has hecho siempre,
¡esta patria tan querida cuyo nombre llevamos!
¡Ten presente, a quién has hecho tan bella!

Que con las reglas la sabiduría sea respetada,
¡que la misericordia y la fuerza en los hombres crezca!
¡confírmanos en la unidad y la paz!

IP Logged

Reply #21 - 30.11.2005 at 17:55:16

davidk   Offline
Global Moderator

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Srl wrote on 30.11.2005 at 11:16:49:
Hello I am here visiting from Wikipedia and see this thread quotes wikipedia!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-Innu_Malti  The text there now is copied from the Malta Department of Information, would anyone like to help rewrite it? There are a lot of good resources on this forum, I'd like to at least link to it. See the 'discussion page' linked from the L-Innu Malta page also. Thanks

I'm a Wikipedian myself (username: Canuckguy), and have noticed how much work Wikipedia needs in its anthem information.  Sadly, I barely have the time to maintain my own site - IMHO my site has the information I wish something with the exposure of Wikipedia has! 

Feel free to link to us, I consider this site the best site on anthems out there (including my own), so if I were to point anyone to go for more anthem information, besides my own site, it would be to here.

David Kendall - site maintainer
http://www.nationalanthems.info
IP Logged

Reply #22 - 30.11.2005 at 18:10:31

Srl   Offline

thanks!   Well, it looks like the Spanish translation is actually from the English and not the Maltese, wonder about the others also. hm.

IP Logged

Reply #23 - 01.12.2005 at 18:14:59

Jan   Offline
Global Moderator

Bremen, Bremen, Germany

As far as I can understand them, the Walon, the Czech (and obviously the French) versions are translated from Maltese - see the reference to "Maltese" in the last line of the second verse, which you do not find in the English versification by May Butcher.

IP Logged

Reply #24 - 01.12.2005 at 18:27:52

Jan   Offline
Global Moderator

Bremen, Bremen, Germany

My German translation (from Maltese)

Diesem süßen Land, unserer Mutter, der wir unseren Namen verdanken,
Gewähre ihm Deinen Schutz, Herr unser Gott, so wie Du es immer behütet,
Denke stets an sie, die Du in Licht gekleidet.

Gebe, großer Gott, Weisheit jenem der regiert,
Dem Herrn Güte, Kraft dem Arbeiter,
Lass' uns gerecht, aufrecht und treu dienen, als ein einiges Volk, Malteser, und in Frieden.

Compare with reply #4

IP Logged

Reply #25 - 05.11.2006 at 11:59:15

Jan   Offline
Global Moderator

Bremen, Bremen, Germany

Letter in today's edition of the Sunday Times of Malta about the pre-independence use of Innu Malti:

Quote:
From hymn to national anthem
Mr Michael Ellul, MQR, BE&A, Dip. Arch (Rome), FRHist.S. (London), A&CE, Attard.

Correspondence in the holdings of the British National Archives at Kew which passed between the Admiralty and the Colonial Office (ADM 1/11894) about the official recognition of the Innu Malti over 60 years ago, reveals interesting aspects of the playing of the anthem by Royal Navy bands, in addition to those mentioned by Professor Godfrey Pirotta (The Sunday Times, October 22).

In December 1941, the Adjutant General of the Royal Marines requested from the Colonial Office instructions and guidance on whether there was any objection to "this anthem being included in the book of National Anthems, Salutes and Official Marches for use by H.M.s Navy."

The Colonial Office seems to have been taken unawares, and replied that they "know nothing of the Maltese National Anthem, and thought it strange that they had not been consulted by the Governor (Sir William Dobbie) on the matter", and suggested that the hymn should be omitted from the book of national anthems.

In the meantime, the Commander-in-Chief, Mediterranean, was informed confidentially that his local action to allow the playing of the hymn by Royal Navy bands "will be allowed to stand until the Colonial Office raise the matter officially with the Government of Malta".

The matter dragged on for some time, and in April 1942, Mr A.J. Dean, a high official of the Colonial Office, noted with some dismay in an internal minute, that the Government of Malta had "acted somewhat precipitately (in asking the services to play the national anthem), but that in the present circumstances they do not propose to take up the matter with them, though they will do so when conditions become more suitable".

April 1942, often described as "the cruellest month" of the war, was the time when Malta was being battered mercilessly by the German Luftwaffe, and it was felt in London that it would be undesirable if any action taken by the Colonial Office "might give some inkling that all was not in order", and "if any facts or a garbled version of the facts (not to include the Innu Malti in the official book of anthems) would reach Malta".

The bottom line was a minute by Mr J.A. Phillips, the Principal Assistant Secretary at the Colonial Office, saying "that the Governor has not consulted the Colonial Office, and that until the matter is taken up and settled officially (which will be left to a more convenient time), it is not thought desirable to include the anthem in the book of national anthems".

It is interesting to note that the manuscript military band score, which is attached to the official correspondence, is headed by the words Innu Malti.

Source:
http://www.timesofmalta.com/core/article.php?id=242136

Unfortunately, I could not find the article by Professor Godfrey Pirotta (which is mentioned in the first paragraph) through the text search option of http://www.timesofmalta.com

IP Logged

Reply #26 - 15.01.2007 at 01:00:46

dem   Offline
Forum Moderator

Mesa, Arizona, USA

Jan wrote on 11.07.2005 at 13:25:43:
This is the text as it is given at the website of the Department of Information of Malta:

[...]

It is again without Maltese fonts, but it should clear up doubts with regards to division of words.

(From: http://www.doi.gov.mt/EN/state/anthem.asp)

Here are the lyrics from the Department of Information website with the Maltese fonts. This version differs only in punctuation and capitalization from the version posted by ztc at the beginning of this thread:

L-INNU MALTI

Lil din l-art ħelwa, l-Omm li tatna isimha,
ħares, Mulej, kif dejjem Int ħarist:
Ftakar li lilha bl-oħla dawl libbist.

Agħti, kbir Alla, id-dehen lil min jaħkimha,
Rodd il-ħniena lis-sid, saħħa 'l-ħaddiem:
Seddaq il-għaqda fil-Maltin u s-sliem.

Source:  http://www.doi.gov.mt/EN/state/anthem.asp

IP Logged

Reply #27 - 21.03.2007 at 03:34:59

Dieter   Offline
Forum Administrator

Message from Reinhard Popp

Quote:
Aus Malta erhielt ich die Kopie eines interessanten Briefes, den Mrs. Blanche Laferla, die Witwe des ehemaligen Schuldirektors Dr. Albert Laferla und Schwägerin von Dr. Robert Samut, an den Verleger Ivo Muscat Azzopardi geschrieben hat (2. Juli 1964).

Demzufolge hatte ihr Ehemann seinen Schwager Samut bei einem der regelmäßigen sonntäglichen Besuche im Herbst 1922 gebeten, für ein Schulkonzert im 27. Dezember 1922 eine "Hymn for the children of the Government Schools" zu komponieren, was dieser dann auch mit großer Freude machte. Der befreundete Dichter und Priester Msgr. Carmelo Psaila (= Dun Karm) verfasste dann kurz darauf die Worte, und das Lied erklang erstmals am 27. Dezember 1922 und nicht erst am 3. Februar 1923 im Manoel Theater von Valletta.

English Translation

I received a copy of an interesting letter from Malta. Mrs. Blanche Laferla, widow of the former headmaster Dr. Albert Laferla and sister-in-law of Dr. Robert Samut, wrote it to the publisher Ivo Muscat Azzopardi (1964-07-02).

She writes that her husband had asked his brother-in-law Samut at one of the regular Sunday visits in fall 1922 to compose a "Hymn for the children of the Government Schools" for a school concert on 1922-12-27. Samut agreed with pleasure. Shortly after that, a friend of him, the poet and priest Monsignor Carmelo Psaila (= Dun Karm), wrote the words, and the song was performed for the first time on 1922-12-27, not on 1923-02-03 in the Manoel Theater of Valletta.

IP Logged

Reply #28 - 21.03.2007 at 05:56:20

Dieter   Offline
Forum Administrator

Dieter wrote on 21.03.2007 at 03:34:59:
Message from Reinhard Popp

Quote:
Aus Malta erhielt ich die Kopie eines interessanten Briefes, den Mrs. Blanche Laferla, die Witwe des ehemaligen Schuldirektors Dr. Albert Laferla und Schwägerin von Dr. Robert Samut, an den Verleger Ivo Muscat Azzopardi geschrieben hat (2. Juli 1964).

Demzufolge hatte ihr Ehemann seinen Schwager Samut bei einem der regelmäßigen sonntäglichen Besuche im Herbst 1922 gebeten, für ein Schulkonzert im 27. Dezember 1922 eine "Hymn for the children of the Government Schools" zu komponieren, was dieser dann auch mit großer Freude machte. Der befreundete Dichter und Priester Msgr. Carmelo Psaila (= Dun Karm) verfasste dann kurz darauf die Worte, und das Lied erklang erstmals am 27. Dezember 1922 und nicht erst am 3. Februar 1923 im Manoel Theater von Valletta.

English Translation

I received a copy of an interesting letter from Malta. Mrs. Blanche Laferla, widow of the former headmaster Dr. Albert Laferla and sister-in-law of Dr. Robert Samut, wrote it to the publisher Ivo Muscat Azzopardi (1964-07-02).

She writes that her husband had asked his brother-in-law Samut at one of the regular Sunday visits in fall 1922 to compose a "Hymn for the children of the Government Schools" for a school concert on 1922-12-27. Samut agreed with pleasure. Shortly after that, a friend of him, the poet and priest Monsignor Carmelo Psaila (= Dun Karm), wrote the words, and the song was performed for the first time on 1922-12-27, not on 1923-02-03 in the Manoel Theater of Valletta.

The Maltese press has reported this in great detail. The tenor is that the history of Malta's national anthem must be rewritten.

IP Logged

Reply #29 - 06.10.2007 at 13:50:38

Jan   Offline
Global Moderator

Bremen, Bremen, Germany

Dutch translation; apparently a mixture of elements from the May Butcher versification and the original Maltese text:

Het Maltese volkslied

Bescherm het, oh Heer, zoals u altijd gedaan heeft,
Dit Moederland, ons dierbaar, wiens naam wij dragen!
Doe ons herinneren dat U het zo mooi geschapen heeft!

Geef wijsheid oh Heer, aan hem die regeert,
Onder de genade van de Heer, de kracht in de mensen doen groeien.
Zorg voor eenheid tussen de Maltesers en vrede.

Source:
http://www.maltesetaal.nl/songteksten.html

IP Logged

Reply #30 - 05.07.2010 at 02:23:05

Dieter   Offline
Forum Administrator

IP Logged

Reply #31 - 29.08.2015 at 06:34:45

JoHyoroe1988   Offline
Forum Elite

Harbin City - Heilongjiang, China

Chinese Translation by Jo Hyo-roe:

马耳他共和国国歌(1974-)
马耳他国国歌(1964-1974)
《马耳他赞美诗》

敦·卡姆·普塞拉词
罗伯特·萨马特曲

Ⅰ.